July 6, 2010

Toy Story 3: Best Pixar Film?


So I went to go see Toy Story 3 (finally) with a good friend. While I was tempted to watch it in 3D briefly, I decided that I had to watch it the way I had watched 1 and 2.

I can still remember watching the trailer for the first movie and then later watching the movie in the theaters with such amazement. In a way I was excited to see the movie, not for it's proclaimed brilliance but because I realized that I had grown up right along with Andy. I wanted to touch back on a childhood that Toy Story had been a part of. Kudos, by the way, to Pixar for sticking with the same kid (now adult) for the voice of Andy in all three movies. Their level of dedication and loyalty is just amazing.

Now, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I laughed, I gasped and maybe I cried a little (I don't remember). However, although my good friend and I did talk about our reactions to certain scenes afterwards, I felt myself grow somewhat silent. I really loved the movie, but why was I disappointed (a little) at the end?

Finally I pinpointed my feelings when my friend voiced "All it really did was pull at your heartstrings". I realized that Pixar has done something wonderful yet somewhat damning. They have never failed to amaze, evoke emotions and push boundaries (Cars didn't happen people). But, along with that mantra comes the level of expectation we've come to have for Pixar.

So I would have to disagree with my fellow comrades who swore it was the best film Pixar has ever produced (have we already forgotten WALL-E ?). Before I get stoned, I have my reasons so hear me out.
My stance with Toy Story 3 begins first with my question: Was a third movie really necessary? Although I also enjoyed Toy Story 2, I also questioned the need for it when it first came out. What worked for TS2 was that it explored the new theme of mortality and betrayal. TS3 felt, instead of a new angle, an extension of the themes touched on in TS2. Here again we see the toys struggling with the need to be played and not forgotten in some dusty cardboard box or dumpsite. It's their doubts of security and longevity mixed along with the theme of being a loyal family. But, even that theme of loyalty has already been touched on in 1 and 2.

The movie feels more or less like an action film( a really good one). One that's family friendly and involves no near-nude women running for safety. I feel as if the ambition for this film fell short. There were some themes I would have been interested in, like the look on Buzz's face when he realized Andy had picked Woody over him or the toys' attitude towards Woody as he was moving on with Andy while they were being left behind. Both of these scenarios were quickly accepted and hardly touched on. I feel that every time the plot came close to digging deeper, the shovel was tossed aside.

The new characters provided an opportunity for growth. The original crew of toys from 1 and 2 really didn't have any more room for growth and if they did, the idea wasn't entertained. The more intriguing character was Lotso (voiced by Ned Beatty) the bitter fluffy bear but, even he felt like a rehash of The Prospector from TS2.

This movie was great. It was entertaining, it pulled at your heartstrings, it made you care and it made you worry. Even though it all feels familiar it's still done very well. It's worth the money, it's worth the $12 for the bad popcorn and it's worth the time. However, because the film comes from Pixar, you can't help but expect a lot out of them. This film from anyone else would have been mind-blowing. It lacks the ambition that we've come to witness with films such as WALL-E, Up and Finding Nemo. Saying this, it's a film worth watching over and over for the elaborate and clever action-escapade scenes, it's comedic timing and it's ability to make you tear up. The saga has ended on a beautiful and clever note.

Final Grade: A



On another note, another reason Toy Story 3 is a must-see is for its six minute short shown right before the movie. Pixar has a long standing tradition of preceding its feature films with animated shorts. They're always wonderfully done and heartwarming. This short was no exception and the merge of old-school meets new-school proves once again that Pixar enjoys pushing boundaries.

The short, titled Day & Night, was created by Teddy Newton and was a lovely fusion of 2D and 3D animation. The short is set to a score by Oscar-winning composer Michael Giacchino (Up). It's delightful and comedic but it's so profound you can't hold the urge to clap as the finale comes. The story is of two figures (One Night, the other Day) who learn to accept and appreciate each other's unique differences. It borrows a lecture from Dr. Wayne Dyer given in 1970 where he affirms that the unknown can be mysterious and beautiful and should not be feared or resented. It's unlike any other Pixar short previously done. It struck a chord with me as it touched on a subject very close to my heart and has now officially bumped Geri's Game as my favorite Pixar short film.

Final Grade: A+

The short is now available for purchase on iTunes.

Day & Night - Preview

No comments:

Post a Comment